Where Am I Supposed to Go?

 


Back then, 

as a child, 

I used to imagine how wonderful it would be to be an adult.


Now, 

I have entered the threshold of adulthood myself. 

Twenty-four, 

Nearing twenty-five in just a matter of days,

I have survived.


At this moment, 

On my journey back home, 

I am writing this. 

I reflect while eating, 

Waiting for the train to arrive.


One question haunts me: 

What will my life eventually become? ---


I watch the people moving around me,

Some my age, some older,

And I wonder; 

Is this truly what it means to be a grown-up?


Almost every day, 

The vast majority of people time is dedicated to work,

To put it bluntly, 

We are slaves within the power circles of capital owners. 


We need the money, of course.


But that money is earned only after taking steps heavy with orders, 

Saying "yes" to requests without having a choice, 

Sacrificing time, mind, and energy,

And sometimes giving it all away without fair compensation. 

That called "exploitation".


I remember my dream back in junior high school, 

When I was about fifteen. 

I heard the news of a cousin who had landed a high-paying job. 

It didn't immediately "wow" me, 

Though it was good news. 

Even then, I thought: 

It would be more beautiful to work of one's own volition, 

free from the demands of others.


Back then, 

I dreamed of becoming an entrepreneur--

Someone who could actually provide jobs for others. 

And looking at myself now, 

I realize that my dream remains the same. 

It hasn't changed. 

Only the timing, the experiences, and the trials are different.


But my desire remains unchanged. 

I want to be free.


Specifically, 

I want the freedom to work for myself, 

To take full command of my own life, 

Without the orders or coercion of others, 

And without being "paid" in the empty currency of "loyalty" to unpaid overtime.


I don't know. 

When I open this writing again in five or ten years, 

What will my thoughts be then? 

Will my dream still be the same? 

Or will that desire have finally been realized?


I pray that Allah shows me the way Aameen :)



Komentar